BS in Criminal Justice
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
The BSCJ program is available at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus and online (see http://www.fiuonline.com). Students must obtain a grade of C or better in all criminal justice core and elective classes.
NOTE: The below course requirements are for students admitted in Fall 2020 and thereafter. Previously admitted students may choose to follow these course requirements (see your advisor).
There are no common prerequisites required in this major.
Core Courses (18 Credits)
- CCJ 2020 Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CCJ 4014 Criminological Theory
- CCJ 4700 Research Methods and Analysis
- CJE 3001 Professional Development in Criminal Justice
- CJL 4064 Criminal Justice and the Constitution
- CCJ 4497 Senior Capstone in Criminal Justice (senior standing)
Criminal Justice Electives (18 Credits).
Students may select any 3000 or 4000 level courses that begin with the prefixes CCJ, CJC, CJE, CJJ, CJL, and DSC. Students are strongly encouraged to complete an internship to gain practical experience in the field (CCJ 4940). For information on internships, see http:/cj.fiu.edu/internship/.
General Electives (24 Credits).
The number of general electives may vary. Please see an advisor for the total number of credits that may be used for general electives outside the major. 1- and 2-credit physical activity courses (with the prefixes PEL, PEM, PEN) cannot be included as part of the hours needed for graduation. Independent study courses may not be taken outside of criminal justice.
- All students are required to complete the University Core Curriculum General Education Requirements to receive a degree from FIU. Proof of an Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida college automatically satisfies this requirement.
- Students entering FIU without an Associate of Arts degree from a Florida college must complete the "University Core Curriculum" requirements. (See the FIU Catalog website for details on the Core Requirements).
- Global Learning - In order to graduate with a Bachelor's degree from FIU, students must take a minimum of two Global Learning (GL-designated) courses. A Global Learning course counts toward the graduation requirement only if taken once it has been granted GL designation.
- Foreign Language - Students must show mastery at, or complete a second-semester sequence (at the college level) foreign language course or one more advanced with a minimum grade of "C". Credits earned through AP, IB, CLEP and other testing methods for earning accelerated credit satisfy this requirement. Discuss options for satisfying this requirement with your Academic Advisor.
- All students entering any University within the Florida State University System with fewer than 60 credit hours are required to earn at least nine (9) credit hours prior to graduation by attending one or more summer terms at a university within the system.