BS in Crime Science
Bachelor of Science in Crime Science
The BSCS program is available at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus and online (see http://www.fiuonline.com).
- STA 2023 Statistics for Business and Economics (pre-requisite: high school algebra)
- BSC 2010 General Biology I (pre- or co-requisite: BSC 2010L)
- BSC 2010L General Biology I Lab
- CHM 1025 Fundamentals of Chemistry (pre- or co-requisite: CHM 1025L)
- CHM 1025L Fundamentals of Chemistry Lab
Additional Major Requirements
Crime science majors must complete 43 credit hours or core courses and 17 credit hours of general electives. Students must earn a grade of C or higher in all courses required for the major and satisfy the Green School Language Requirement.
Core Courses (43 Credits)
- CCJ 4014 Criminological Theory
- CCJ 4700 Research Methods in Criminal Justice
- CCJ 4701 Measurement and Analysis in Criminal Justice (pre- or co-requisite: CCJ 4700)
- CCJ 4072 GIS and Crime Mapping
- CJE 3444 Security and Crime Science (GL)
- CJE 3610 Criminal Investigation
- CJL 4133 Criminal Evidence
- CHS 3501 Survey of Forensic Science
- CHS 3501L Survey of Forensic Science Laboratory
- CCJ 4225 The Courts and Forensic Science
- DSC 4012 Terrorism and Homeland Security (GL)
- CJE 4694 Cyber Crime
- CTS 1120 Fundamentals of Cybersecurity
- EEL 4806 Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures
- CJE 4XXX Senior Capstone in Crime Science (pre-requisites: Senior standing in Crime Science)
GL = Global Learning Course
General Electives (17 Credits)
Students must complete 5 credit hours of 3000 or 4000 level courses and 9 credit hours outside the Criminology and Criminal Justice Department. Students are strongly encouraged to complete an internship to gain practical experience in the field (CCJ 4940). For information on internships, see http:/cj.fiu.edu/internship/.
- All students are required to complete the University Core Curriculum General Education Requirements to receive a degree from FIU. Proof of an Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida college automatically satisfies this requirement.
- Students entering FIU without an Associate of Arts degree from a Florida college must complete the "University Core Curriculum" requirements. (See the FIU Catalog website for details on the Core Requirements).
- Foreign Language - Students must show mastery at, or complete a second semester sequence (at the college level) foreign language course or one more advanced with a minimum grade of "C". Credits earned through AP, IB, CLEP and other testing methods for earning accelerated credit satisfy this requirement. Discuss options for satisfying this requirement with your Academic Advisor.
- All students entering any University within the Florida State University System with fewer than 60 credit hours are required to earn at least nine (9) credit hours prior to graduation by attending one or more summer terms at a university within the system.