BS in Criminal Justice
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
The BSCJ program is available at the University Park campus and fully online (see http://www.fiuonline.com/programs/online-undergraduate-degrees/bachelor-of-science-in-criminal-justice.php). Students must obtain a grade of C or better in all criminal justice core and elective classes.
Core Courses (24 Credits)
- CCJ 2020 Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CCJ 4014 Criminological Theory
- CCJ 4700 Research Methods in Criminal Justice
- CCJ 4701 Measurement and Analysis in Criminal Justice (pre- or co-requisite CCJ 4700)
- CJL 4064 Criminal Justice and the Constitution
- DSC 4012 Terrorism and Homeland Security (GL)
- CJE 4174 Comparative Criminal Justice Systems (GL)
- CCJ 4497 Criminal Justice and Public Policy (pre-requisite CCJ 2020, CCJ 4700; co-requisites CCJ 4014, CCJ 4701)
GL = Global Learning Course
Criminal Justice Electives (12 Credits).
Students may select any 3000 or 4000 level courses within criminal justice that begin with the prefixes CCJ, CJC, CJE, CJJ CJL and DSC. Only 6 semester hours of CCJ4940 (Internship) will count in this academic area. For more information on how to earn college credits for an internships, visit the website: http:/cj.fiu.edu/internship/.
General Electives (24 Credits).
The number of general electives may vary. Please see advisor for total number of credits that may be used for general electives outside the major. 1- and 2-credit physical activity courses (with the prefixes PEL, PEM, PEN) cannot be included as part of the hours needed for graduation. Independent study courses may not be taken outside of criminal justice.
- All students are required to complete the University Core Curriculum General Education Requirements to receive a degree from FIU. Proof of an Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida community college automatically satisfies this requirement.
- Students entering FIU without an Associate of Arts degree from a Florida Community College must complete the "University Core Curriculum" requirements. (See the FIU Catalog website for details on the Core Requirements).
- Foreign Language - Students must show mastery at, or complete a second semester sequence (at the college level) foreign language course or one more advanced with a minimum grade of "C". Credits earned through AP, IB, CLEP and other testing methods for earning accelerated credit satisfy this requirement. Discuss options for satisfying this requirement with your Academic Advisor.
- All students entering any University within the Florida State University System with fewer than 60 credit hours are required to earn at least nine (9) credit hours prior to graduation by attending one or more summer terms at a university within the system.